Saturday, March 27, 2010

Worry Dolls


Recently I went to Cave Creek and happened to stop at a craft fair.  Normally I hate those kind of things.  I have a tremendous guilt complex and I hate browsing in someone's booth only to leave empty-handed.

But this time was different.  I found a booth that sold Guatemalan worry dolls.  I'd never heard of them before.  They're dolls made by children in Guatemala and when they have trouble sleeping they tell their worries to the dolls and put them under their pillows.  The idea is that the doll does the worrying for them so they can rest easy.  I bought a ton of them.

Of course I don't believe in the folklore but I like the idea.  I'm a worry wart.  I come from a long line of worriers.  I like having the little dolls around now to remind me that I need to go against my genetics and give up the worrying.  After all, 85% of what we worry about never happens.  The other 15% usually isn't as bad as we feared it would be anyway.  Can you remember what you were worried about a year ago?  Even a week ago?  Neither can I.

I have a new favorite quote by an unknown author:  "Troubles are like people.  They grow bigger the more you nurse them."  Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment