Thursday, January 28, 2010

Someday is not a day of the week

My mother says, "Work expands to fit the time allotted for it." So it's no wonder it takes (undisclosed amount of time) for me to write a post.

I don't like to think of myself as a procrastinator. First of all, it's not a PC term. Did you know? We're now calling people who delay "chronic task avoiders." That's not me anyway. I may dawdle, dillydally, postpone, and tarry but I don't procrastinate. I don't buy Christmas gifts on Christmas Eve or let gift certificates expire. But I do have a tendency to think, "I'll have more time for this later." Or, "I'll do it later when I have more energy." And my favorite lie, "I work best under pressure."

When I finally sit down to slam out a few words I find myself easily distracted. Here are a few of the things I do when I'm "dillydallying:"
  • Look for music on YouTube
  • Visit Jodi Shaw's webpage
  • Picture my life as an Olympic gold winning figure skater
  • Keep re-reading my post, editing for errors
  • Think about what to get people for their birthday
  • Think about future blog entries
  • Chew off hangnails
  • Check my email
  • Wonder how different my life would be if I had the svelte figure and good looks of Audrey Hepburn
This is a short post but I have to end it now because - also as my mother would say - I have fooled around long enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment