I don't like to think of myself as a procrastinator. First of all, it's not a PC term. Did you know? We're now calling people who delay "chronic task avoiders." That's not me anyway. I may dawdle, dillydally, postpone, and tarry but I don't procrastinate. I don't buy Christmas gifts on Christmas Eve or let gift certificates expire. But I do have a tendency to think, "I'll have more time for this later." Or, "I'll do it later when I have more energy." And my favorite lie, "I work best under pressure."
When I finally sit down to slam out a few words I find myself easily distracted. Here are a few of the things I do when I'm "dillydallying:"
- Look for music on YouTube
- Visit Jodi Shaw's webpage
- Picture my life as an Olympic gold winning figure skater
- Keep re-reading my post, editing for errors
- Think about what to get people for their birthday
- Think about future blog entries
- Chew off hangnails
- Check my email
- Wonder how different my life would be if I had the svelte figure and good looks of Audrey Hepburn